Ask Any Hour - Is it better to replace your AC & furnace at the same time?
Dear Any Hour,
The AC and furnace were both installed about 15 yrs ago when the house was built. I'm looking at replacing my furnace right now. Since the units are the same age, are there any benefits to replacing both the furnace and air conditioner at the same time?
- Teresa B.
If your objective is to get by spending as little as possible to restore comfort to your home, repairing or replacing a single piece of equipment could be what you choose to do but here are a couple of things to consider that might make you change your mind.
1. IT'S ONLY A MATTER OF TIME - More than likely your furnace and air conditioner are the same age. They have both been used in the same environment and conditions. This means if one has stopped working because of wear and tear, chances are the other is close behind.
2. SAVE MORE NOW - Your furnace and air conditioner share some common components. So when you replace both at the same time you can usually save on labor and often get a better deal on the equipment by bundling.
3. BRAND CAN MATTER - While the science of how a furnace and air conditioner heat and cool your home is pretty universal, there can sometimes be nuances to the way certain brands engineer their systems to work. So you want to check and make sure that if a technician recommends miss matching equipment that the 2 brand’s parts are interchangeable.
4. INCREASE EFFICIENCY - The most expensive aspect of your furnace and air conditioner is not the cost to install it but the cost to operate it. Many times increasing the efficiency or both pieces of equipment can offset the cost of replacing both and make more sense.
5. LATEST TECHNOLOGY - Most people will only need to replace their furnace and air conditioner a couple of times, so chances are your system is 20+ years old. Technology has probably improved and to get the most out of those technological advances you should replace both your furnace and air conditioner.
If you’re still not sure and think you want to just replace the piece of equipment that’s broken, remember #1 & #2 and at least have the company bidding the project to show you the difference in cost to replace them one at a time. This way you have the information you need to make an informed decision. At the end of the day, it is your choice and you should never let a company pressure you into spending more money than you want to.
What Do You Want to Learn More About? We want to share tips and information to help you understand the systems in your home. Is there a topic you'd like us to talk about? We'd love to hear from you! Click the button below to submit your question or email it to: [email protected].
Copyright © 2021 by Any Hour Services
Sep 26th 2021