Why You Want to Turn on Your AC Before You Need It
With warmer Spring temps, it may seem like we have a lot more time before the summer heat hits. To save money, most of us think we should wait until it gets really hot to turn on our air conditioner. While it's good to hold off using the AC continuously right now, it's also a good idea to turn on your air conditioner to test it BEFORE it's hot outside and you actually need it.
So, start your AC up during a nice, 70-degree day to make sure it runs properly and things are working well. If you wait until it's 80-90 degrees and you need your AC blowing cold air, and find out then it doesn't work, you'll be in the boat with everyone else having issues. That’s when the HVAC companies get slammed and it can be hard to even get an appointment for someone to come out to look at it. So, you'll have to suffer while you wait for a tech to be able to come look at it.
Before turning on your AC unit, you need to do a few things:
- Go to your outside unit and make sure it is uncovered and not blocked by anything.
- Switch your thermostat to the "auto" or "cool" setting and then turn the temperature down so that the AC comes on in your home.
- Go back outside to make sure the unit is running.
- Let it run about 15-20 min to get the compressor running and parts lubricated. Make sure there is cold air coming out of the vents in your home. If it doesn’t come on or there isn’t cold air coming out of vents in your house, call an HVAC company to have someone come take a look at it.
- And if you haven’t changed your filter in a while, go ahead and do that.
Turning on your AC before the weather gets hot to see how it works can help you avoid the rush of all the other people calling when it's hot outside and their AC doesn’t work. As well as avoiding having to wait a while before an HVAC tech can come out to help fix it.
Here's a video with other AC maintenance tips to do yourself to help your AC unit be ready for the summer.
If you feel like you are in over your head or need help, call an HVAC company you trust. If you don't have one, call Any Hour Services at 801-692-0455 and we'd be happy to help you.
Also, it's manufacturer recommended to get an air conditioner tune-up done every year. We have a special offer running currently for a $29 AC Tune-up (reg $99). For more info, click here. To schedule your AC tune-up with Any Hour Services today, call us at 801-692-0455 or visit our website for more information.
Other helpful articles:
- AC Tune-ups: What You Need to Know
- Should I Replace My Home's Heating & Cooling System?
- In The House 015: AC Dealer Maintenance
- Reasons to Replace Your Furnace & AC at the Same Time
Copyright © 2021 by Any Hour Services
Mar 29th 2021